ZM AJAX Login Register has 10,000+ active installs and is nearing 100,00 downloads. Exciting. The codebase is over 2 years old. Sucks. I never expected it to become popular, widely used, supported, or (slightly) monetized. It did.
As I grew as a person, and a developer, ZM AJAX Login Register was stagnant at times. With the end of the summer here in Baltimore brings an anticipated end to my support of ZM AJAX Login Register version 1. I bring to you version 2. A complete re-write.
The biggest change is that Pro is no longer a stand alone plugin. You will need to have Core (the free version) installed and activated.
The re-write was needed for the following:
- All features that are were added to Core are now available in Pro
- All previous bugs fixed in Core are now fixed in Pro
- All previous bugs fixed in Pro are now fixed in Core
- Pro is now and add-on for Core
Yes, still no forgot password support, but it is coming (considering it is now super easy to work with the code base).
If you are an active user, all that is needed is to do the update via your WordPress admin dashboard. Once complete, you will see an admin notice asking to complete the update process. Click-it. All your existing settings from version 1.1.1 or later will be imported into the new format.
Pro as an Add-on Core
Something I’ve been meaning to do for sometime has been to unify the code base in Pro and Core. This would greatly reduce the time spent fixing bugs, and the time needed to add features.
Core Features not in Pro
Updates to Core had to be manually ported into Pro, and by manually I mean like, some of the changes made it and others didn’t. I went riding instead. Since Pro is now an add-on. This means that features and bug fixes (hopefully theres none) never need to be added to Pro! Because Pro just extends core. Unless it is a specific feature of Pro, then the fixes still need to happen in Pro.
With that being said the following features are now in Pro!
- Force Check Password – Allows visitors to bypass certain brute force plugins (yes, it does, it was a request some time ago).
- Pre-load Forms – Forms are loaded via AJAX, but for some reasons (caching plugins) you’ll want the form already on the page, but just hidden via CSS.
- Use Facebook Avatar – A lovely pull request, which allows WordPress to use the Facebook avatar, vs. the Gravatar
Bug Fixes in Pro, Bug Fixes in Core.
Again, considering Pro is now an add-on to Core. Any bugs that are fixed in Core, are now fixed in Pro! The opposite also applies, any bugs that dealt the core login, and register functionality of Pro are now also fixed in Core.
A few changes worth mentioning are:
- Options are now stored as a single value in the
- Legacy options are removed
- Additional hooks (actions & filters) are added
- Clicking outside of a dialog closes the dialog
- Uses Quilt & Lumber for the settings API
What are you waiting for? Update to version 2.0.0. ZM AJAX Login Register has 10,000+ active installs and nearing 100,000 downloads. If your not using ZM AJAX Login Register give the latest a download and try it out. I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below.