Following today’s web trends, the Savane Properties site redesign consisted of a clean & minimalist layout. But unlike today’s web trends the Savane Properties site redesign was conceptualized from the heart of a seasoned design firm, Forward Design.
I was contracted by Forward Design to develop their design into a responsive, one page layout with various animations and an obvious task; allow for content to be managed via WordPress.
WordPress, the clients choice.
Yet another case supporting the demand for WordPress to be used for its content management features, as apposed to its blogging features.
As the adage goes; “make decisions, not options”. Forward Design made the decision early on to limit the amount of content managed by WordPress.
The only two sections requested to be managed were the galleries and the team members. In the end this limited the amount of content maintenance required, and allowed their client to focus on what they do best: creating phenomenal living experiences.
Development in Detail
Below outlines some detail regarding the development cycle for this piece.
Managed Section – Team Members
The first managed section, “Our Team”, consisted of a Custom Post Type. For each team member the client can manage:
- Phone number
- Educational bio
Managed Section – Gallery
Originally, I had set out to use the acquired and very popular FlexSlider by WooThemes, since it supported variable image width (via a pull request), but much to my disappointment there were various issues.
However I did my share of contributing by; ear marking duplicate issues, verifying issues did exists, and providing a quick fix for the variable image width issue. Considering Matt purchased WooThemes’ Woo Commerce plugin, FlexSlider is in good hands these days.
With that being said I highly recommend the Royal Slider plugin. It provided the base functionality, and an extensive developer API, which allowed for the customization of a themed “skin”.
Custom Font Services
Personally, I’ve always preferred Google Fonts, but for this project the fonts requested (Adobe Garamond & Helvetica LT Std) are not available from Google. Thus a hunt far and wide was conducted for our unique variation of Helvetica, which led to a subscription on a rather old fashioned font website. Were I was left with an admin interface consisting of rather smallish text (10px or so), and each admin pane was a modal window with no direct access back to where I came.
On a great note, the service does provide an “export” & “import” feature. That allows me to provide a token to my client, which they can use to import the fonts into their account, thus transferring the settings from one account to the other.
Regardless of the font service used, the outcome, a custom font on a website, was all that was needed, and in the end, it worked.