In July I presented a WordPress Plugin Workshop at Betamore on “General WordPress Plugin Development”. Slides are now available as a PDF for download below. The sample code presented consisted of actions hooks and filters, translations, and plugin settings; these are also available for download via GitHub.
General WordPress Plugin Development – Intro
It was great being able to present on General WordPress Plugin Development at Betamore, which is right in our own backyard, Baltimore! Betamore provides a prime shared co-working space, along with various tech related courses and networking events. It is a must visit for any techie or entrepreneur in or around the Baltimore or Washington D.C., area.
Some of the topics covered:
- Plugin vs. Theme – What goes where
- Creating a Plugin – Where to start
- Creating Custom Settings – Detailing the WordPress Settings API
- Maintainable Code – Contributor friendly, actions & filters, documentation
The after hours presentation went over well, with lots of hands on practice, and a mini Q&A session.
Below you’ll find the links to download the presentation as a PDF, along with the links to the GitHub repository for each lesson/activity that was given.
Note that each sample code provided in the repository is shown as a WordPress plugin.
- Sample plugin showing the WP Settings API
- Sample plugin showing how to add a filter
- Sample plugin showing how to translate a plugin
- Presentation Slides
Upcoming WordPress Plugin Development Workshops
Although we don’t have anything scheduled at Betamore, there are various events happening in and around Baltimore relating to WordPress. Such as; WordCamp Baltimore (October 18, 2014, University of Baltimore) and php[world], (November 10–14, Washington D.C.).
The php[world] conference is a 5 day event and a great opportunity to learn, network, and have an enjoyable time in Washington D.C. A quick look at the php[world] schedule shows there’s no shortage of WordPress sessions. I’m excited to teach a training day, “Developing On WordPress”.
Hope to see you there!
This year we launched our premium WordPress plugin 2014 store. Also known as the Zane Matthew store or the ZM Store. Products featured in the store include, premium WordPress plugins, themes and priority support.
The ZM Store
The very first two products in the store are ZM AJAX Login & Register Pro which, encompass new features that go beyond our FREE version located in the WordPress Plugin Repository and, our Priority Support plans.
Priority support is a must as we expand our reach and, users seek support assistance that requires our time and energy.
More Premium WordPress Plugins 2014 To Come!
We’re especially thrilled that the store will enable us to share other plugins that have also been in development mode or that we use as in-house solutions. We’ll be unveiling the next new plugin by the end of the month! Stay tuned for more premium WordPress Plugins 2014 to come.
For the latest regarding our premium WordPress Plugin and Theme releases follow us on twitter at @zanematthew.
Enhancements and bug fixes in 1.0.7 update
Instructions and settings
- Enhancement: Added “usage” section to the settings page, #21
- Enhancement: Added Facebook Login instructions, #51
Facebook login enhancements
These new features encompass ways that the admin can integrate the Facebook login. We’ve updated the code to reflect the latest Software Developer Kit (SDK) from Facebook.
- Enhancement: Improved Facebook Login set-up by updating to v2.0 SDK, #50
- Enhancement: Facebook Login with phone number is now supported, #52
- Enhancement: Facebook Login now saves; first name, last name, and Facebook URL with the user profile, #50
- Enhancement: Facebook OG tags should no longer be duplicate, they can be left blank if another plugin is already implementing them, #42
Admin options for improving the UX
- Enhancement: New users can now link to the Registration form from the Login form and existing users can link from the Registration form to the Login form, #16
- Enhancement: Improved user registration interaction, #44
- Enhancement: Improved support for Login and Register dialogs on mobile devices, #46
- Bug: Fixing bug where some users reported user name existed with Facebook Login, #48
Important considerations for previous translations
This 1.0.7 version includes new settings and instructions which have not been updated in French or Russian languages. We’ve reached out the previous translation authors and requested translation help. Once we obtain an updated translation, we will release a version that will reflect those changes. The Spanish translation is updated to reflect 1.0.7 changes.
Upcoming translations: Albanian, Turkish and Serbian
We’ve had translation requests for Albanian, Turkish and Serbian. Once these language updates are made, we will release a new plugin update reflecting those translation changes. Thank you to all translators who make ZM Ajax Login & Register accessible to the worldwide WordPress community.
The workshop will be a great opportunity for developers interested in creating their own WordPress plugin. Interested participants can visit Betamore’s website to learn more.
What attendees should anticipate
The workshop will demystify some of the misconceptions of a WordPress Theme vs. Plugin. Also, allow attendees to become more familiarized with the development process. It will be hands-on workshop and attendees are encouraged to bring their laptops.
Title: General WordPress Plugin Development
Date: Tuesday, July 22, 2014
Time: 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Last week we dove into the zM Ajax Login & Register support forum and added bug fixes and enhancement suggestion to the 1.0.6 update list. Today, we’re thrilled to share with you the new release.
In a nutshell, here are the updates/bug fixes:
- Dialog/Modal is now closed if the user scrolls, issue #34
- Dialog/Modal is no longer draggable, issue #35
- Addressed compatibility issues with Easy-to-use issue #38
- Bug fix: Facebook Meta Tags issue #41
- Plugin now available in French! Thanks to Thomas G for taking time to translate the plugin to French!
- Plugin available in Spanish too!
Moving forward with support related questions to all zM Plugins/Themes:
Beginning next week, we’d like users to send support related questions to zM AJAX Login & Register Support Forum.
For all plugins and Themes visit support.zanematthew.com.
Support related features suggested but not included in this update:
We’re in the process of extending the functionality of the plugin and will keep you all informed when we have the next update available.
Big thanks to active support forum users!
This latest update would not be possible without support forum users who reach out to us. Having your feedback helps us improve what we make and also improves the experience of all plugin users.
This May 2014 we launched our first WordPress Theme called Pelham. Since its release, we’ve been paying attention to downloads. We celebrated at the 5oo download mark, and then again when we crossed the 1,000 download threshold.
Here are the reasons why we’re so thrilled:
- Pelham is our first free published WordPress Theme, and so far the feedback has been constructive.
- Theme Grade Report Card: The folks on Theme Grade focus on grading Themes and will give you a report card according to their metrics which they use as a standard for all themes reviewed. We were fortunate to have Pelham reviewed and obtained feedback on areas for improvement. Pelham received an overall 87% grade.
- We made the list at Artfulclub.com: Pelham featured in Artfulclub.com list of top Free WordPress Themes for 2014.
- Feedback helps us improve current and future development. Theme Grade’s report card for instance, highlighted gaps that we will be addressing in future Pelham updates and future Theme Development.
- In the spirit of continual growth and improvement, launching Pelham highlighted the need for us to make internal changes on how we manage customer support. We’re revamping our in-house support (but that’s another blogpost) which we believe is also a major milestone for the company and to the many users that have downloaded our plugins and Pelham. It will allow us to have a central place for customer support and allow us to enhance our communication with users.
- Milestones enlighten our purpose as Theme and Plugin Developers. Bottom line, we want to create themes we will use, vouch and be accountable for by our users.
- Pelham was created initially as an in-house theme for zanematthew.com but evolved into a Theme we wanted to share with others. Brainstorming what we wanted in Pelham transformed into features we also believed others would enjoy. At the end of the WordPress Theme approval process, we were elated to learn Pelham had passed. Most importantly, we understand that in order to produce something worthwhile, we need to be our first customers.
We’re really excited that this month we exceeded our 24,000 mark for downloads. Most importantly, we’re listening to feedback provided via the forum. Of course there is still room for improvements and updates. For those of you that are brand new to the plugin, here is a synopsis of what it does and how you can integrate with your existing WordPress site. We invite you to download the plugin zM Ajax Login & Register 1.0.5.
Key Plugin Features:
- Facebook login support
- Redirect users to a custom URL or page after login, such as; “Dashboard” or “Welcome”
- AJAX verification for username and email accounts
- Choose between different styles: stacked (default) or wide
- Advanced usage includes: Assign login and register modals to menu items, support for custom CSS, several hooks are available as well
New Features in the latest version (1.0.5):
- Compatible with the latest WordPress 3.9 release
- Plugin is multilingual friendly (multilingual support)
- Plugin is available for download in Russian and Spanish
- A huge thanks to Artem Belov who translated the plugin to Russian.
- Big thanks to all of our forum support comments, troubleshooting questions and suggestions
While we hope for perfection every time we make an update to the plugin, we do realize that bugs (aka gremlins) surface. We appreciate the constant feedback and are extremely grateful when you bring them to our attention. We currently have a demo site dedicated to the plugin, in case you want to see what the plugin does. We are working on the following improvements for our next update:
- Login compatibility for WordPress Networking (multisite)
- Modal bug fix
- Other major issues reported in the zM Ajax Login & Register Forum
Click here to view the demo of the Pelham theme.
Pelham is a logic-oriented theme with exceptional WordPress admin integration and a clean design for the inner perfectionist. Pelham focuses on making you work smarter not harder.
The theme integrates a professional seamless look and feel while allowing you to take advantage of what WordPress has to offer. Instead of adding superfluous hurdles to theme customization options, users are one click away from tailoring their theme via the WordPress admin. The theme deducts confusion and frustration and fuses intelligently with WordPress core.
Pelham’s Formidable Features
Galleries and Images
By adjusting WordPress’ gallery column setting, you can have up to 9 columns, thus giving your galleries a unique look and feel.
Once images are set to link to their respective attachment page they are shown in a shadow box style layout. Linking your images to the attachment page provide your visitors direct links to share.
Logical WordPress Theme Customizer Integration
Why not leverage a UI that is intuitive, provides live preview, and part of core WordPress?
Thats what Pelham does with its Theme Customizer support. No need to re-learn clunky theme options or theme settings. With Theme Customizer you can customize the WordPress defaults, which are; title and tagline, colors, header image, background image, assign custom navigation, and set a static front page. Pelham extends the customizer by adding the following:
- Site title – Change the background and text color or replace the title with your own custom logo
- Text Colors – Change the text color, link color and hover color along with the page background color
- Width – Set the width of your website
- Additional CSS – Skilled enough to write your own CSS code? No problem just use the textarea in the customizer!
Fully Supported Editor Styles
Ever wondered why the editor isn’t always “what you see is what you get?” Pelham fully supports Editor Styles. The styling you see on the front-end of your website is the same styling you’ll see when editing content in the editor.
Responsive, Seamless and Clean Design
Want a One-column, or Two-column Layout?
Its understood that not everyone wants to be forced into a two-column layout. With Pelham’s responsive design changing from a one-column layout to a two-column layout is as easy as adding widgets.
Custom Page Not Found
Occasionally users land on your “Page Not Found” without engagement. Pelham channels users towards content you’ve added via your WordPress widgets.
Pelham supports: widget’s in the right sidebar, custom menu’s, featured images, threaded comments, post formats – quote, gallery, image, aside, link, chat, and is translation ready.